The Ἄρτεμις (Ártemis)
The Artemis is an advanced five-blade armed reconnaissance and attack helicopter.
The Artemis is intended to be a stealth helicopter; it incorporated multiple techniques in order to reduce its radar cross-section (RCS) and other areas of viability. Radar-absorbent material (RAM) is used on the Artemis, as well as having infrared-suppressant paint applied on its faceted surface; with these measures, the Artemis's RCS is 360 times smaller than the AH-64 Apache attack helicopter. The Artemis's noise signature is noticeably quieter than comparative helicopters; this is partly achieved through the all-composite 5-blade main rotor and tail rotor assembly. The Artemis is equipped with sophisticated navigation and detection systems intended to allow operations at night and in bad weather. Each of the two crew-members have two LCD multi-functional displays in addition to the Helmet-Integrated Display and Sight System (HIDSS). It has a digital fly-by-wire flight control system. Its primary mission is to use its advanced sensors to find and designate targets for attack helicopters, such as the AH-64. The Artemis also has its own light armament – it can carry six AGM-114 Hellfire and twelve FIM-92 Stinger missiles split evenly between the two retractable weapons pylons.
The sensor suite consists of Chemical, Electromagnetic, Gamma, Infrared, Neutron, Microwave, Radar, andRadio, Thermal, and X-ray, Sensors. These sensors allow the gunship to visually or electronically identify friendly ground forces and targets in most weather conditions.
- Crew: 2
- Length: 46.85 ft (14.28 m)
- Rotor diameter: 39.04 ft (11.90 m)
- Height: 11.06 ft (3.37 m)
- Disc area: 1,197 ft² (111 m²)
- Empty weight: 9,300 lb (4,218 kg)
- Loaded weight: 12,349 lb (5,601 kg)
- Useful load: 5,062 lb (2,296 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 17,408 lb (7,896 kg)
- Powerplant: 2 × LHTEC T800-LHT-801 turboshaft, 1,563 hp (1,165 kW) each
- Fuselage length: 43.31 ft (13.20 m)
- Rotor systems: 5 blades on main rotor
- Maximum speed: 175 knots (201 mph, 324 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 165 knots (190 mph, 306 km/h)
- Range: 262 nmi (302 mi, 485 km) on internal fuel
- Combat radius: 150 nmi (173 mi, 278 km) on internal fuel
- Ferry range: 1,200 nmi (1,380 mi, 2,220 km)
- Endurance: 2.5 hr
- Service ceiling: 14,980 ft (4,566 m)
- Rate of climb: 895 ft/min (4.55 m/s)